You don’t have to be researching nootropics for long to come across both Modafinil and Alpha Brain. These are, without doubt, two of the best known cognitive enhancers in the world today.
Despite there being enormous differences between how these two supplements work and their effects, we have been asked by several of our readers now to do a full comparison of Modafinil and Alpha Brain to see which is the better brain supplement overall.
So, that’s what we’re going to do!
In this article, we do a direct comparison of Modafinil and Alpha Brain to see which is the better supplement for focus, learning and productivity. We will compare Alpha Brain with Modafinil on their side effects, benefits, costs, and more.
Alpha Brain or Modafinil?: Benefits, Negatives and Uses
So what about their benefits?
For those new to cognitive enhancement and biohacking, Alpha Brain and Modafinil might seem very similar. On paper, both are said to improve brain function in some way.
However, those of you who know a little about cognitive enhancers will know that these are two COMPLETELY DIFFERENT products with wildly different effects and mechanisms of action. We explain this in more detail in our review of Onnit Alpha Brain.
Let’s now get down to business and see which cognitive enhancer is best for you.
Alpha Brain Benefits
- Proven Cognitive Advantages: Alpha Brain actually has been shown to work in numerous scientific studies. What does the word “work” refer to? It means Alpha Brain will improve cognition and help your brain function better.
- It’s easy to buy: Alpha Brain can be purchased on Amazon or at certain Whole Foods. These days, it’s easy to find this stuff.
- Alpha Brain: This is an excellent introduction to the world of smart drugs. We highly recommend this product if you have never tried nootropics.
- Short Half Life: Alpha Brain lasts anywhere from 5-7+hrs when taken. The strongest effects can be felt for about 4-5 hours. This is a shorter half-life than Modafinil.
- Better Sleep Quality: Modafinil can make sleeping difficult if it is not administered correctly. However, Alpha Brain has been shown to improve sleep quality and many users have vivid dreams.
- Ideal for Everyday Use: Alpha Brain is the best smart drug to use Monday through Friday. Alpha Brain has minimal side effects, so you don’t have to take it as often as possible. Perhaps a week on, one month off.
Overall, Alpha Brain does a good job delivering potent nootropic benefits. Although it’s not the most powerful product on the market today, there is no doubt that Alpha Brain works.
Modafinil is without a doubt the most powerful smart drug in the entire world.
It is powerful and potent. We’ll dive deeper into Modafinil’s many benefits.
- Modafinil is the most popular smart drug in the world: Modafinil is a powerful drug that works. Modafinil will make you feel like you are a superhero. Modafinil, aside from Adderall which we would not recommend you take, is one of the most powerful cognitive enhancers available. It is certainly more powerful than any smart drug we’ve tested.
- 12+ hours of focus: Modafinil is the smart medication for you if you are looking to work 12-14+ straight hours. Modafinil has a half-life of 12+ hours. Many users are still alive after 15 hours of productivity.
- Ideal for All-Nighters: Modafinil is a wakefulness agent that was initially developed. Modafinil was originally designed to keep you awake. Modafinil can be taken in the evening so you stay awake throughout the night. Although cramming may not be the best way of studying, it is possible to stay focused and alert if you have to. Modafinil should not be used as a substitute for sleep. You need sleep for your mind and body. Depriving yourself of it can have long-term health consequences. Modafinil should be taken early in the morning to maximize productivity during the day.
- More Powerful Than Alpha Brain: Modafinil is, in general, just a little more powerful than Alpha Brain. Modafinil is more powerful than Alpha Brain. It will give you an extra boost for up to 5-7 hours. Modafinil can put you in hyperdrive mode for over 12 hours.
Modafinil, if you are looking for the best nootropic available, is the right choice.
Modafinil is “king” among nootropics, and it’s not without reason.
The Downsides of Alpha Brain
What are the down sides to Alpha Brain? Well…
- Not Recommended for All-Nighters. Alpha Brain won’t keep you awake all night. It won’t. This is not the nootropic you need to pull a full-time job.
- Alpha Brain is great, but not powerful: We love Alpha Brain, but sometimes we need it. It’s not as powerful as Modafinil. This stuff is more like rocket fuel for your brain.
- Alpha Brain is not for smart drug veterans: This is like telling someone who has been injecting testosterone to switch to Anavar. It is great, but it won’t do as much.
Alpha Brain is extremely safe. Alpha Brain will provide a few hours of nootropic benefits, as well as enhanced cognition. It is not a particularly strong nootropic, and it doesn’t have very noticeable effects. it is also not a long-lasting nootropic compared to other natural stacks on the market right now.
Downsides of Modafinil
What are the downsides of Modafinil’s use?
Although it is our favorite smart drug, there are some drawbacks. These are some of the common problems:
- Side effects: Modafinil is known to have a few side effects. Alpha Brain has very few, but Modafinil only has a few. Modafinil side effect are mild for us, but we can’t deny that this smart drug has more than Alpha Brain.
- It’s harder to get your hands on: To purchase Modafinil from a pharmacy, you will need a prescription from your doctor or order it online. Modafinil cannot be purchased at Whole Foods or Amazon as Alpha Brain can.
- It can be difficult to sleep if you don’t take Modafinil in the morning. Modafinil can keep you awake for up to 12 hours.
Modafinil is intended for those who are serious about cognitive enhancement. Modafinil is for people who have not tried any other nootropics.
Modafinil vs Alpha Brain: Long-term Effects
How do Alpha Brain and Modafinil differ in terms of their long-term effects?
It shouldn’t come as a surprise to you to learn that Modafinil has a much more fundamental effect on the brain than Alpha Brain, and daily use of the drug can have lasting negative effects on cognitive function.
Using Modafinil every day can downregulate dopamine receptors, which can have a profound effect on motivation, mood and mental performance for life. Modafinil is not thought to cause brain damage or to downregulate dopamine receptors when used sensibly and sparingly.
Alpha Brain claims to have lasting benefits, and indeed it contains some ingredients known to have long-term effects on cognition. Bacopa monnieri improves memory retention and recall when used daily for many months. But the long-term benefits of Alpha Brain will be minimal since doses are low.
Learn more: Mind Lab Pro vs Modafinil.
Which is best for creativity?
Is Modafinil or Alpha Brain better for promoting creative thinking?
Many of our readers are creative professionals – artists, programmers, designers, developers, traders, musicians – who use nootropics to increase creativity and boost fluid thinking. Modafinil is a popular choice among these kinds of professionals since it allows you to work through the night. But is Alpha Brain a better option?
In our opinion, Modafinil is a better nootropic for increasing creativity than Alpha Brain. The active ingredients in Alpha Brain are more effective for increasing memory and reducing anxiety. While this is great for creative professionals, Modafinil is more effective for fostering more creative, fluid thinking.
Alpha Brain or Modafinil: Which should you use?
Which is the better nootropic, Alpha Brain or Modafinil?
The answer really depends on what you’re looking to get out of a nootropic.
If what you want is some anxiety control, brain health support and long-term memory function, then Alpha Brain is definitely the better option for you.
If, on the other hand, you are looking for a powerful cognitive enhancer to dramatically increase motivation, focus and mental stamina, then Modafinil is the clear winner here.
In other words, Modafinil and Onnit Alpha Brain are two different nootropics entirely. One is an extremely powerful productivity booster, and the other is a very mild herbal supplement that slightly reduces anxiety and helps with memory function.
If you are considering using Modafinil but would prefer an over the counter alternative, we recommend checking out Vyvamind.
If you are drawn to Alpha Brain but would prefer something more powerful and with better reviews, read our NooCube review.
- Alpha Brain side effects
- Alpha Brain Instant review
- Alpha Brain vs Mind Lab Pro
- Alpha Brain ingredients
- Alpha Brain vs Adderall
Brian Johnson is current Editor of Vagarights.com and a long-time writer for VAGA. A former psychologist, Brian is passionate about improving mental health and finding ways to stave off cognitive decline. He is an expert on nootropics, cognitive enhancement and biohacking more broadly. You can see his work on Google scholar.